Monday 11 August 2008

Five Great Health and Nutrition Quotes

Quotes:
Health and Nutrition
Longevity
Doctors and Medicine


"I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward."
~John Mortimer

I like this one because although witty, it illustrates one misconception around health. Mortimer assumes that being healthy means living longer whilst incapacitated when in fact remaining healthy may be one of the best ways to avoid spending any time at all in a geriatric ward.




"Just because you're not sick doesn't mean you're healthy."
~Author Unknown


"Health is so necessary to all the duties, as well as pleasures of life, that the crime of squandering it is equal to folly."
~Samuel Johnson



"Sickness is the vengeance of nature for the violation of her laws."
~Charles Simmons

"Life is not merely to be alive, but to be well."
~Marcus Valerius Martial


If you have any favourites of your own you'd like to share, go ahead and leave a comment...

Quotes:
Health and Nutrition
Longevity
Doctors and Medicine

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this post, and although I couldn't think of any other great nutriton quotes I read recently I cam across this quote from Russel Simmons this morning:

“It took me 5 brand new cars to realize they weren’t making me happy, as soon as I parked them for the first time I thought ‘what now?’”

- Russell Simmons (Def Jam Records & Phat Farm Clothing)

Asclepius said...

Devany hit the nail on the head for me when he said "there is the 'most you do' each day, and the 'least you do' each'. When the 'most you do' is the same as the 'least you do', you're dead!"

Thus, I make sure that the 'least I do' each day is as little as possible - whereas the most I do each day is often 'novel' and always intense!

Methuselah said...

I also love this expression, but have never really understood how one defines the 'least you do'. I am assuming it's the intensity one achieves. So sprinting is a good 'most you can do' activity. But it seems like the least you can do is achieved every night and therefore not worth paying attention to. Or do you make a point of lying down and regulating your breathing for a few minutes each day?

Unknown said...

I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?'

Blog Widget by LinkWithin